Tracing where build time is spent

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 14:04:04 UTC 2020

On 18/02/2020 13:17, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 of February 2020, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> You left it somewhat unclear what the target audiences for your various
>> performance improvement proposals are (local builds, Gerrit Jenkins
>> builds, other tinderbox builds, "official" TDF release builds, ...).
>
>   I assumed it was implied where it mattered. Using --enable-debug/dbgutil is
> for developer builds, isn't it?

...but then you mentioned "Windows Jenkins builds" with regard to
--enable-python=system in your previous response.  Probably better to
spell things out explicitly.

>> Using --enable-python=system for Gerrit Jenkins builds would trade
>> significance of those builds ("will a release build with this change be
>> good?") for build performance.
>
>   Strictly speaking, no Jenkins build does that except for the Linux GCC
> release one, as all the others build with --enable-dbgutil, so I find this
> argument weak. In practice it seems it's the tinderboxes that check this (if
> at all).

Still, I would prefer it if we keep the differences between Gerrit
Jenkins and "official" TDF builds as meaningfully small as possible.
The motivation for --enable-dbgutil deviation is certainly different
from the motivation for --enable-python=system deviation.  Deviation
motivated by build performance should IMO only be a last resort.