Tracing where build time is spent

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Wed Feb 19 09:03:04 UTC 2020

On 19/02/2020 09:51, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 of February 2020, Eike Rathke wrote:
>> On Monday, 2020-02-17 19:06:23 +0100, Luboš Luňák wrote:
>>>   And is there any worthwhile gain in insisting on using upstream
>>> tarballs?
>>
>> Reliable checksums and reproducible packaging.
>>
>> A responsible developer introducing a new tarball on the download server
>> a) checks it against the official checksum after download
>> b) creates the SHA256SUM of the file to use in download.lst
>>
>> Any repacking invalidates that, specifically on a developer's machine
>> could introduce omissions or additions.
>
>   That is the theory, but the reality is that we already do have some tarballs
> that do not have any matching upstream tarballs (e.g. because do not exist),
> so I think that point is moot.

But the theory is definitely something worth aiming for, IMO.  Ever so
often have I been frustrated in trying to track down the origins of some
artifact at <https://dev-www.libreoffice.org/src/>.  (And I still think
we should put that site under some kind of version control, with a
journal detailing how exactly each individual artifact was obtained.
But that's a somewhat different issue.)

(That doesn't mean that at least I suggest repackaging is something we
should avoid at all cost.  IMO, it may be an option if it can be done in
an accountable way and has some clear benefit.)