Open Source Hackathon Mentorship Invitation

Drew Jensen drewjensen.inbox at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 18:13:56 UTC 2020

Hello Misha,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to reach out to the
community here.

The work you are doing seems quite exciting and certainly appears to fit
well with the goals of The Document Foundation.

I suspect the biggest hurdle at the moment is time, or lack thereof, with
regards to this years HackIllinios event.

What I would like to propose is to set about working towards having a
mentor at the 2021 event, giving time to both recruit a developer and to
look at what coding projects would fit well with both your students and the
LibreOffice code base.

On the subject of coding projects I noted in reviewing the previous work
done at the HackIllinios events there seems to be strong use of Python for
projects. LibreOffice is predominantly written in C++ but also supports the
ability to integrate extensions to the application using python as the
development language and perhaps that is something which could fit well
here.

Of course someone may yet jump in here regarding this years event, but
should that not happen, what I would like to do is to add your event to the
community calendar so that next year the effort on our side can begin
earlier.

Best wishes for the success of this years event.

Drew