Interest in Styles Inspector and Styles Highlighter for GSoC

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:51:25 UTC 2020

Hi!

On 2020-02-27 21:20, Shivam Kumar Singh wrote:
> My name is Shivam Kumar Singh a second year student from IIEST Shibpur,
> India. I am highly interested in the LO code base and would like to
> contribute to it in GSoC 2020. I have been working on EasyHacks for
> about some months now and have recently got an InterestingHack merged.
> Please have a look at my contributions
> here  https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/q/owner:shivamhere247%2540gmail.com

Thank you!

> For GSoC I am interested in "Styles Inspector" and "Styles Highlighter"
> project. The purpose of the project is to understand the layout of any
> document. There's a lot of formatting done in Character Styles, Page
> styles which changes the appearance and we want them at one place so
> that its easier for the user to learn the changes. I went through
> Heiko's blog and wanted to discuss some things with you. The Inspector
> basically gives an overview of all the formatting done in text whereas
> Highlighter tells us about all "in the document what styles are
> applied". I didn't understand this part. We are not talking about
> Character or Paragraph styles as we are handling them in the Inspector.
> Are we talking about page styles here ?

To the contrary, we are talking about Character / Paragraph styles here.
The "Highlighter" is intended as kind of "color map" that allows you to
see *where* are the bounds of differently-formatted parts of text, while
"Inspector" should show you which are the specific properties applied at
a given *point* (cursor position) coming from various levels.

> Also there's a part of Direct Formatting in the Style Inspector, which
> overrides both Character and Paragraph Styles, So Basically what we are
> viewing currently in the document is the Direct Formatted Style and all
> other applied styles have been overshadowed. If so don't you think there
> should be more options like Indent or Alignment in Direct Formatting
> Column too ?

Of course every level should show every applied setting (it might
require collapsing/expanding to be manageable).

> Currently I am focusing on the Styles Inspector part. I would be great
> if we could discuss it furthur.
> My nick on IRC is shivam_.

Great; you know how to communicate there :-) But I suppose that
high-level decisions would be best discussed here on mailing list, to
not be lost in the short IRC memory :-)

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski