LibreOffice and old Microsoft Binary file formats.

Drew Jensen drewjensen.inbox at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:56:23 UTC 2020

Howdy,

Today I worked with 5 different word processors (LibreOffice 6.4,
OnlyOffice 5.2, MS Word web, LibreOffice online and Google Docs, all
current and in use in the wild.

Of those 5 only one still allows the user to save files in the old
Microsoft Binary version.

In fact the other 4, including MS Word in the web (via onedrive) will open
old MS binary formats but if you edit the file then you can only save it
back as the newer iso standard OOXML format. I think that is a good thing
as it helps get rid of old binary format files.

The 1 which will allow a save in the binary format is LibreOffice.

Now IDK but wouldn't be surprised if MSO desktop still supports a save to
the binary format, but at least in the web version of the application that
option is gone.

I'm just wondering if maybe LibreOffice should also look at dropping write
support for those binary formats, at least in the online versions. It seems
to me a good thing to do.

Best wishes,

Drew