Win 32

Stuart Swales stuart.swales.croftnuisk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:38:04 UTC 2020

> I'd say that it's likely that a majority of computers still running win7
> are running 32bit.
>
> I'd also suggest that all those users would prefer a stable 6.0 or 6.1 (or
> maybe 6.3) (no big interface changes from LO 3.2) to remain installable and
> maintained for security, rather than installing LO 7 on them. That is
> anyone looking for a 32bit install is trying to restore a computer back to
> its 2010 state, with current security patches.
>
> So, I'd vote for maintaining a separate feature Exact 6.3, or 6.1 32 bit
> version, and dropping 32bit from 7.0.
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 9:44 AM Ralf Quint <freedos.la at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/19/2020 7:27 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
>>> Hi Dante,

>>> I believe that would be premature. There's still a sizeable fraction
>>> of users running Windows 7 [1], which itself likely has a sizeable
>>> fraction of x86 installations - no hard data though [2].
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Ralf

Don't forget that a lot of people who have upgraded to Windows 10
probably ended up with a 32-bit installation (and know no better).

Microsoft have only just made 32-bit Windows 10 unavailable to OEMs. I,
and other folk I know, have systems with 32-bit Windows 10 that can't be
updated to 64-bit due to BIOS crippling.

Coupled with the problem of 32-bit extensions, it is too premature to
abandon a 32-bit LibreOffice build for Windows.

Stuart
--
Stuart Swales