Easy Hacks

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Sat Jul 25 07:31:57 UTC 2020

On 24.7.2020 20.52, anshu khare wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to this community.
>
> I was looking for some easy hacks on this page
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/EasyHacks/by_Required_Skill/Skill_C%2B%2B#Skill_Level:_Beginner
>

> I was looking at the bug
>
> 42982 : improve UNO API error reporting
>
> Since I was completely unfamiliar with UNO, I directed to this page
>
> https://niocs.github.io/LOBook/extensions/part1.html#buildsec
>
> It says :
>
> The complete C++ program that creates a Desktop object and loads an
> empty calc document can be built and run as :
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/niocs/UNOCreateUseObject.git
> $ cd UNOCreateUseObject
> $ make
>
> $ make CreateUseObject.run
>

> Please let me know if I have to write these commands on Cygwin shell or
> on Git Bash.
>
> Also, am I heading in right direction to solve this particular bug?

Well, you don't have to learn the ins and outs of UNO before working on
patches for this easy hack. Rather focus on the specific topic, read all
the commits so far (linked from the report), maybe their review history
as well and study the report comments (there is 9 years of history after
all).

You set yourself as the assignee, but I reset it because I don't think
you will want to stick with this particular task until it is objectively
done 100%. Some of the comments mention assigning, but this is not the
way to do it in case of easy hacks that can be worked on by multiple
contributors.

Ilmari