New options around cross-building for Windows?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 07:42:33 UTC 2020

On 08/06/2020 00:14, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Stephan Bergmann wrote:
>> On 23/04/2020 15:48, Luboš Luňák wrote:
>>>    Just for completeness, there's one more option, and that's using Clang-cl
>>> instead of MSVC for everything. E.g. Mozilla does it, it is already possible
>>> to build LO that way (and I think Stephan does that regularly?).
>>
>> I routinely make (--enable-dbgutil etc.) builds with clang-cl from a
>> locally-built LLVM/Clang trunk (i.e., not using whatever Visual Studio might
>> offer) on Windows.
>>
> Putting the pieces together - is my understanding correct, that
> clang-cl is now largely ready to cross-build ABI-compatible Windows
> binaries from Linux?

My understanding is that, at least in theory, it should mostly work.
One open issue that immediately comes to mind is
<https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/0a99b5a1b7325454fe3d1174d44354888aa22012%5E!>
"When building with clang-cl on Windows, build CLR code with MSVC as
clang-cl doesn't support the /clr switch."  (I have never checked
whether clang-cl would meanwhile support it.)