Suggestion: No more language packs for macOS as they are fundamentally broken

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Mon Jun 15 09:33:47 UTC 2020

(Sorry, my fingers slipped somehow and my previous reply had no of my own
text.)

4) create a real macOS installer package (native macOS installer
> program, not a runnable script like the langauge pack "installer"),
> similar to the windows msi that allows to customize the installation
> and pick the components you want.

But where would such a "real" installer install the optional parts? Into
the app bundle? Is it possible to leave out optional parts from a signed
and notarized app bundle, if done by an installer? I honestly don't know.
But my guess would be no, that leaving things out from the signed app
bundle is no different from adding files to it later (as the language packs
now do).

Sure, such an installer could instead put the optional parts in for
instance /Library or ~/Library. But then we are back at the problem I
already wasted a couple of weeks on: Teaching the LO code in various places
to look up various things (message catalogs, extensions, autotexts,
dictionaries, help, whatnot) in multiple locations. Which seems quite hard.
At least to me, but somebody else who understands the code better might do
it in a day, of course.

--tml