Java and LO 7.0.beta2+ / master

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbfaure at libreoffice.org
Fri Jun 19 08:23:47 UTC 2020

Le 19/06/2020 à 08:36, Stephan Bergmann a écrit :
> On 18/06/2020 20:37, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
>> I have a problem with Java in my builds of LO7 and master.
>> My environment: Ubuntu 18.04.4 x86-64 with Gnome.
>> Java : OpenJDK 8 and 11 provided by Ubuntu
>> Default java : java 11
>>
>> I build LO 6.4, 7.0 and master
>> LO 6.4 I is build with option
>> --with-jdk-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/
>>
>> LO7 and master are build with option
>> --with-jdk-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
>>
>> I did tests with form wizard in Base:
>> LO6.4 is able to use both java 8 and java 11.
>> LO7.0 beta2+ and master can find only java 8 and say it is defective.
>> If I try to add java 11 (/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
>> ) it say that there is no Java runtime environment in the folder I
>> selected.
>>
>> Is there something I missed in the configuration of my builds or is
>> there a bug ?
>
> I would start debugging by looking at what JREs are actually listed at
> "Tools - Options... - LibreOffice - Advanced - Java Options", and
> running LO with SAL_LOG=+WARN+INFO.jfw to get all the log output from
> the code responsible for choosing a JRE and starting a JVM (assuming
> your build is not (implicitly) configured as --disable-sal-log).

Thank you for your help.

OpenJDK 8 is activated in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Advanced
but LO does not show its location.

I added --enable-sal-log option and rebuilt LO 7.0 beta2+

1/ I unchecked Use Java runtime environment
2/ Closed LO
3/ Started LO and check Use Java runtime environment again and restart LO
4/ Opened a database and launch the wizard to create a form -> I get the
error box saying that I must restart LO. the JRE is defective.
But, in the terminal I get this error message :
> Could not allocate metaspace: 1073741824 bytes
> JavaVM: JNI_CreateJavaVM called os::abort(), caught by abort_handler in javavm.cxx
> [Java framework] sunjavaplugin.soCan not create JavaVirtualMachine, abort handler was called

If I understand correctly this message, JVM launcher want allocate 1 GB.
It seems a lot, but it should not be a problem, my PC has enough RAM (8
GB) and I use routinely a Java application with option "-Xmx 1024 MB".

When I try to add the JRE 11, I get only the message box saying that
there is no JRE in the folder. There is no message in the terminal.

Best regards.
JBF