Cleaning up check targets (was Re: [Libreoffice-qa] ESC meeting minutes: 2020-03-05)

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Tue Mar 17 10:35:00 UTC 2020

On Thursday 05 of March 2020, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> Hey,
>
> * Changing the default ‘make’ target (Lubos)
>
> >   + https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/89820
> >   + keeping ‘make check’ unchanged
> >   + plain ‘make’ would just build, not run tests
> >   + buildbot owners: need to run ‘make unitcheck slowcheck’ on
> > Windows/macOS, not just plain ‘make’ to avoid loosing test coverage
>
> Is there still a reason to have independent unitcheck and slowcheck
> targets? They are historically different because a default module level
> make would only execute the unitcheck and not the slowcheck target but if a
> module level make is not executing a unitcheck anymore, slowcheck can just
> be merged into unitcheck.

 I can do cleanup of check targets too, but can we first have a consensus on
what the result of the cleanup actually should be? AFAICT the various check
targets are an inconsistent mess too: In a module, 'make check' is equivalent
to 'make unitcheck slowcheck'. But at the top level, 'make check' is
equivalent to 'make unitcheck slowcheck subsequentcheck uicheck'.

 So, proposal: 'slowcheck' will be deprecated and will simply map
to 'unitcheck', and 'unitcheck' will be the target to get just the "fast"
checks. 'check' will map to 'unitcheck slowcheck subsequentcheck uicheck'
also in modules. That would be consistent and also mostly backwards
compatible (with the exception of 'make <module>.check').

 Any comments or better ideas?

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com