current master windows build break: ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 09:00:14 UTC 2020

On 27/03/2020 09:45, Noel Grandin wrote:
> At this point I recommend we simply give up and revert the ninja patch,
> it is not worth it.

I sympathize with that, for a different reason.  I have spent enough
time now to fix external/nss' new gyp+ninja build for my needs on Linux
and Windows.  But what bothers me is that we now have to support two
different build systems there, as external/nss/ExternalProject_nss.mk
still contains

> else # platforms which need(?) the old build system (feel free to port to the new system)

to use the old make build on e.g. macOS.  (And I think it is unlikely
that anybody will be enthusiastic to go ahead with the suggested
porting).  I think the added complexity that dual build support brings
is rather unfortunate.

(And yes, for Windows we already often enough need to support an extra
branch in various ExternalProject_*.mk, including
ExternalProject_nss.mk.  But IMO that doesn't mean it's a good idea to
proliferate that even further.)