Requiring SSE2 on Windows

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Wed May 6 08:38:03 UTC 2020

On 05.05.20 15:48, Luboš Luňák wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I suggest that we remove the '-arch:SSE' added on Windows, i.e. that we
> require at least SSE2-capable systems.
>
>   This was added by 8bd6bf93b7 in 2014, but at this point there's basically
> nobody who would be running LO but wouldn't be capable of SSE2.
>
>   Some relevant facts:
> - GCC, Clang and MSVC all default to SSE2+
> - The last Windows to work without at least SSE2 was Windows 7, which is EOL
> (and in fact it in practice required SSE2+ too, since an update in 2018).
> - Windows 8, MSOffice 2013, Chromium require SSE2+.
> - I checked all ~240k crash dumps reported in the last month and there's not a
> single one from a machine not capable of SSE2.

if Windows 8 requires SSE2, then i dont see any point of us patching
external libraries etc. to ship releases that can run on non-SSE2 CPUs
only on unsupported Windows versions.

i'm not sure if everything has SSE2 turned off currently, because likely
a bunch of new externals were added where nobody checked...