Requiring SSE2 on Windows

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Tue May 5 21:54:09 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 08:58:00PM +0200, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 of May 2020, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> > (FWIW, when -msse2 was discussed for 32-bit Linux x86 in the context of
> > <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2016-September/075211.h
> >tml> "Re: Test File: sc/qa/unit/data/functions/fods/chiinv.fods: fails with
> > Assertion", it was turned down in replies
> > <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2016-September/075324.h
> >tml> and
> > <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2016-September/075316.h
> >tml>.)
>
>  I think those aren't really relevant here. They're from 2016, and I'm also
> not proposing any code change, just the default set by configure.

For Linux it is. Still.

>  And while I didn't say it explicitly, the old-HW argument doesn't hold
> anymore either. Anyone not capable of SSE2 has not updated SW for 2+ years,
> so they can just as well stick with LO 6.x and not update it either.

That's not relevant for 32bit Linux distros. It doesn't matter what the
hardware would support - what matters is what the baseline is targetted
to support.
(And no, even if I wanted - and I also think i386 is obsolete -,
I can't just drop support for it).

But you talk about Windows, as long as it doesn't affect Linux I am
fine.

Regards,

Rene