Suggestion: No more language packs for macOS as they are fundamentally broken

Eivind Samseth eisa01 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 11:09:40 UTC 2020

Just to correct myself

LO Vanilla uses file compression so the size on disk is only 0.7 GB!

I don’t think the current TDF builds do that? Would alleviate completely any concerns about disk space usage

FYI: Word etc. do not use compression on their .app bundle

(base) EivindsMBP2015:Applications eivind$ afsctool -v "LibreOffice Vanilla.app"
/Applications/LibreOffice Vanilla.app:
Number of HFS+ compressed files: 13400
Total number of files: 14210
Total number of folders: 1127
Total number of items (number of files + number of folders): 15337
Folder size (uncompressed; reported size by Mac OS 10.6+ Finder): 2231006566 bytes / 2.26 GB (gigabytes) / 2.11 GiB (gibibytes)
Folder size (compressed - decmpfs xattr; reported size by Mac OS 10.0-10.5 Finder): 667920126 bytes / 681.5 MB (megabytes) / 649.9 MiB (mebibytes)
Folder size (compressed): 678052441 bytes / 691.6 MB (megabytes) / 659.6 MiB (mebibytes)
Compression savings: 69.6%
Approximate total folder size (files + file overhead + folder overhead): 700212535 bytes / 700.2 MB (megabytes) / 667.8 MiB (mebibytes)

Supported on both HFS+ and APFS since 10.6
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/360120/apfs-how-do-i-enable-transparent-compression