pointer check in unit tests

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 09:21:34 UTC 2020

On 03/11/2020 09:37, Miklos Vajna wrote:
> (If you see a case where a pointer is returned and it can't be ever
> nullptr, then we should fix the return type to a be reference. Caolan
> did lots of fixes like that recently.)

That's up for debate.  For example, if a sufficiently large fraction of
call sites wants a pointer, it can be awkward to change a function's
return type from pointer to reference.  (And doing so without carefully
auditing all call sites can silently introduce regressions.)

T& is something rather different than T* plus "cannot be null".  Just as
the C++ type system isn't capable of expressing the type "int, but never
42", it isn't capable of expressing the type "T*, but never nullptr".