Bump --enable-compiler-plugins Clang baseline?

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.com
Thu Nov 5 08:17:54 UTC 2020

Hi Stephan,

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 04:31:25PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> So, what is the maximum Clang version that people would be comfortable with
> here?

> lode already happens to provide a recipe to install Clang 9.0.1 on Linux. so
> my suggestion---absent other constraints---would be to at least bump to
> Clang 9, somewhat randomly.

As a data point, current stable openSUSE still ships Clang 7, so if the
motivation is to leave Clang 5 behind, then 7 could be a good
compromise.

Failing that, using Clang from LODE could work as well, but then please
let's have it documented what you need to put to your autogen.input to
use clang-from-lode. I mean, the clang-from-system case is a matter of:

CC=clang
CXX=clang++
--enable-dbgutil

I assume some more variables are needed in case the clang headers
should not be taken from /usr/include. Or is that not needed?

Thanks,

Miklos