Mathml XMLReader (starmath module)

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 19:47:00 UTC 2020

On 22/11/2020 15:27, Dante Doménech wrote:
> Hello. I'm trying to add support for &charname; in mathml.
> The reason why actually isn't supported is because mathml is being
> loaded as XML. It is similar, but it isn't. That is why when XmlReader
> finds a mathml particular &charname, it will throw an exception at
> XmlReader::handleReference. However mathml specifics can not be added,
> since they're not part of the XML standard.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that MathML /is/ XML,
and any character entities it references must be declared in the DTD.
It is just that xmlreader, which "supports a subset of XML features, but
is fast and small" (xmlreader/README), does not process an XML file's
doctypedecl.  It surprises me a bit to learn that MathML import would
use the known-incomplete xmlreader.)