Fwd: A "normal" client interface.

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Sun Oct 4 20:17:22 UTC 2020

Am 04.10.20 um 20:51 schrieb Stef Bon:
>> I guess the hard part of this is that nextcloud and others don't
>> actually have access to the document, just tiles of it, i.e. bitmaps.
>
> I know that. Thats the way to access a document while keeping it on
> the server: only a tile
> or a window.

You're misunderstanding the concept of "tile" in this context. Here a
tile is a part of an image, which displays parts of the LO online UI and
the the document. Just open the web-dev tools of your preferred browser
and you can see the document part of the "website" is split into a bunch
of squares in the browser: the tiles.

So yes, LO runs as a server and instead of rendering output to some
graphics hardware, it renders output to images / tiles. Very simplified,
your input (mouse, keyboard) is send to the LO server by the browser and
then LO sends new images to the browser with the changes. It's a bit
like a glorious, interactive HTML image map on steroids.

JMG

P.S. AFAIK some parts of the UI is JavaScript and additional images and
really runs in the browser, but not the document.
P.P.S FWIW: LO also runs as a "server" when you start it on your
machine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Network_Objects