Playing ping pong with ODF version; does it pose a danger to the end user.

Drew Jensen drewjensen.inbox at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 16:59:14 UTC 2021

Howdy,

Recently I exchanged a few documents between a number of ODF editors:
LO 7.1 (all documents were created here with default settings)
Google Docs
Microsoft Office 365
Apache OpenOffice

In the case of all Google and MSO the files open up without any kind
of warning about the ODF version being 1.3. AOO (4.1.10 RC2) offers a
rather poorly worded warning. So far I have noticed no obvious loss of
features, but I assume there must be some, somewhere.

When I save from Google or MS or AOO the ODF version is dropped down
to 1.2, silently.

Open it again in LO 7.1 and it is quiet, edit and save it and it is
quietly moved back up to ODF 1.3.

So, I was wondering if this is a potential problem for the end users
and if so should we recommend that they change from the new default in
LO of ODF 1.43 (a non standard) back to 1.2 if they are expecting to
share for editing with other editors?

Thanks

Drew