Problems with OutputDevice

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Fri Jan 1 22:43:20 UTC 2021

Hi Chris,

first off - great to see you tackling OutDev, which I agree is a
terrible hairball.

Chris Sherlock wrote:
> After this we need to start to tackle the issue of having to push
> state around. IMO, we seem to have done this because that’s the way
> a meta file does things. I do t believe this is necessary. If we
> want to use a coloured line, then we tell the function what colour
> it should use as a function parameter. If we need a full colour,
> then we do the same. If we don’t care we pick sensible defaults.

You'll then have to review every single bit of LibreOffice code that's
using OutDev for rendering. The assumption of state is baked into
every corner of Writer, Calc and Impress rendering since the dawn of
time.

(on the historical reasons - I suspects that's this way since also
Win16 GDI was stateful..)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten