Dropping X11 VCL backend

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Mon Jan 4 11:52:35 UTC 2021

On Tuesday 29 of December 2020, Chris Sherlock wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2020, at 6:43 pm, rene at rene-engelhard.de wrote:
> > Big endian architectures where skis does not work?
> >
> > In debian: s390x
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > René
>
> Oh! I didn’t know about that… ouch.
>
> I asked before, but in the X11SalGraphicsImpl::supportOperation(), it seems
> to be checking to see if the X Server supports XRender. Hopefully I’m
> reading the code right. If I am reading that right, are there any
> distributions that ship X11 *without* XRender?

 I doubt somebody on this list knows enough to tell for sure how likely it's
to encounter X11 without XRender. Before LO I used to be a window manager
maintainer and I'm not sure. XRender works even remotely, so I expect it's
not available only if the X server doesn't support it, which means either too
old, custom X11 implementation maybe, or broken drivers? That's a question
for X11 developers.

 But if XRender support is the problem, then it might be sufficient to ask if
we can afford to hard-require it. I'd say if René wouldn't have a problem
with it then I doubt anybody else would.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com