Calc memory consumption

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu Jan 21 20:35:44 UTC 2021

On 20/01/2021 10:29, Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> Hi, exists some kind of formula to estimate how much RAM a spreadsheet
>>> could use? For instance 468K rows and columns from A to AG.
>
> Well, trying to do something with such file using an i3 based PC with
> 4Gb freezes the software completely.

	Both Tor and Noel are right; but I collect the 'shape' of pathological
spreadsheets as a hobby =)

	Can you tell me:

	+ what data-type is in each column
	+ whether the column is sparse (ie, are
	  there 'holes' in the data)
	+ what formulae are used - and what their shape is ?
	 	+ hopefully formulae are normally
		  non-confidential
	+ what file format you're using.

	But of course, this really doesn't belong on the dev list, but in a bug
if you have one ?

	In case nothing jumps out of the above data, possibly running a
sampling profiler under Linux like 'perf' might show what's being slow,
though I imagine it sounds like a memory issue (perhaps even a transient
memory use) problem.

	Thanks ! =)

		Michael.

--