[Libreoffice-qa] ESC meeting agenda - Adding topic: Broken release process when fresh become still and when still become EOL'ed

Timur Gadzo gtimur at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 18:56:53 UTC 2021

On Thursday, January 28, 2021, Florian Effenberger <
floeff at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> William Gathoye (LibreOffice) wrote on 27.01.21 at 18:22:
>
>> Right now: 6.4 is EOL'ed[4] but it is still advertised on the website
while the update service is redirecting users of 6.4 to the 7.0 version.

> I think it is intentional that we always do have two parallel versions
available for download, but it's something that might change as we are
looking into the rolling release system, which makes this differentiation
obsolete.

Hi

Still has a purpose, many users (me also) are using Still.last. So we need
6.4 to be on the webpage, until we get 7.0.last.
This proposal not only missed the point and failed to consider diverse
needs of others, but it's over zealous in a detrimental way.

I'm reading about rolling release idea, and I find it awful. It just popped
up, not sure why. Yes, it's more simple to publish, but it would ruin LO
usability.

LO is regression plagued product.
Some serious regressions may take months to be resolved, if ever. So with
Still we still have a half-decent suite (other half are all those
unresolved regressions).

To me, who's in QA and following thousands of bugs, this looks like making
new problems, because the most important ones (regressions and 10 years old
bugs) are harder to deal with.

If it's working, don't change that, rather fix what's not working.

Regards
Timur