ANN: renaming of master branch to "main" for core repository and submodules (dictionaries, help, translations)

julien2412 serval2412 at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 18 12:34:58 UTC 2021

Lubos Lunak-2 wrote
> On Wednesday 17 of March 2021, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>> Hi *,
>>
>> as requested and announced in previous ESC-minutes and infra-call
>> minutes, master branch will be renamed for the LibreOffice core
>> repositories and the submodules used by LibreOffice (dictionaries,
>> help, translations).
> (...)
>  I disagree with the plan.

I had told nothing until now thinking I would be the only person to have
this opinion.

After:
1)
http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Tell-me-Easy-Hack-42782-quot-remove-a-dog-quot-is-a-joke-tt3587827.html#a3588273
(Easy Hack 42782 "remove a dog ! ")

2)
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=493ae7a6bb0c3ad50615db0090e7ae8d391bc327
"replace usage of blacklist with denylist"
and
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=abb6c01519a0318d7165dc9dc5b7d185353f93d6
"replace usage of whitelist with allowlist"

Now we must rename "master".
Of course, it's not all 0 risk operation and the technical benefit is 0 +
time consuming. (not as if we had lots of human resources on LO and had very
few bugtrackers to tackle).

Should we expect to replace other things like that? (eg "command" word which
could be misinterpreted too)

Even if it won't change anything and this migration will be done anyway
because marketing and novlang dominate nowadays, THANK YOU A LOT for your
message Luboš!!!

Julien

--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Dev-f1639786.html