Alternative master/main branch proposal (Re: ANN: renaming of master branch to "main" for core repository and submodules (dictionaries, help, translations))

antlists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Mar 22 00:19:31 UTC 2021

On 21/03/2021 10:46, Katarina Behrens wrote:
> C'mon folks, this is not a controversial or complicated issue in any way

If it isn't controversial, why is it causing so much controversy?

> Technical effort to make the change is minimal. Social or indeed human impact
> of the change is net positive. That few folks who happen to have the largest
> bullhorn believe otherwise doesn't change the fact
>
> 'Where is my freedom to use whatever terminology I please regardless of how it
> affects others' is a bad take

I *personally* have *suffered* from exactly this attitude! When Groklaw
was live, I was unable to take part in any discussion that involved
race, because the word "Black" was unacceptable to PJ, and the
alternative would be offensive to the black people I know because (a)
they are not American, and (b) they do not classify themselves as black
- they are Nigerian, or Caribbean, or whatever.

If you take it upon yourself to remove words from my vocabulary, you are
gagging me, especially if you dictate there is no reasonable alternative.

Oh - and by damaging the ability to discuss what is wrong, you make it
harder to put it right!

> 'Let's wait for some random gits to come to their senses and only then follow
> the suit' is a bad take
>
> Just go ahead and rename, for f sake

Just for the record - I was in full agreement with the Groklaw rule of
"PJ's website, PJ's rules".

And with regard to this renaming, I have no strong feelings either way.

But I *do* have a *massive* problem with people bulldozing their
opinions over other peoples' serious concerns - and yes I *am* concerned
where all this "form over substance" political correctness is headed ...

Cheers,
Wol