Opinions are like languages: Everyone has (at least) one

antlists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Mar 21 23:51:46 UTC 2021

On 19/03/2021 19:01, John wrote:
>> to get lectured on English by a German
>
> If we were weighing people's opinion based on their native language,
> which I advise against, German-speakers would fare pretty well since our
> languages are so closely related.

Ime, foreigners tend to have a better grasp of English than many of us
native speakers, since we are mostly not taught our own language. I
learnt nearly all the formalities of English in my Latin lessons!

The two big problems for foreigners are our large vocabulary (since
we've nicked so many words from elsewhere), and (a problem with all
languages) where the literal meaning and what we really mean aren't
necessarily the same ...

Cheers,
Wol