Spell-checking broken on first build

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Sun Mar 28 16:35:55 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2021-03-27 at 21:18 -0700, Keith Curtis wrote:
> Dear all,
> I can't get the automatic spell-checking to work after doing a fresh
> git
> clone / build on (Arch) Linux.
>
> My autogen.sh is simply: --without-java --without-help
>
> The UI lets me set the text to English (which was the default) but when
> I go to Tools-Spelling, there are no language choices (only "None") in
> that dropdown.

Without any overriding configure flags the defaults are
--without-myspell-dicts so your libreoffice build doesn't bundle any of
the dictionaries from "dictionaries". But the default of
--with-system-dicts should be active which defaults to looking at the
path specified by --external-dict-dir which if unset should have looked
into /usr/share/hunspell if it exists and /usr/share/myspell if the
former doesn't exist but the latter does.

In your config.log search for "include MySpell dictionaries" and the
few lines there are the answers to the above config questions, e.g.

configure:14100: checking whether to include MySpell dictionaries
configure:14109: result: no
configure:14123: checking whether to use dicts from external paths
configure:14126: result: yes
configure:14129: checking for spelling dictionary directory
configure:14139: result: file:///usr/share/hunspell

is my config.log stating that the system dictionaries in
/usr/share/hunspell will be used for spell checking, and I have a bunch
of system-dicts in there including English ones. See if your config.log
claims something similar and see if the selected dir is empty/wrong for
some reason or other