Fwd: Drawing vertical text glyphs

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Wed May 5 16:05:44 UTC 2021

On Thursday 29 of April 2021, Mark Hung wrote:
> To be honest, I can only verify from the point of view of a user who can
> read Chinese.

 I can use any other document as the testcase if it helps, I used that one
simply because it seemed suitable to me. E.g.
qadevOOo/testdocs/vertical-testcase.odt mentioned by Caolan seems better (but
it's also Chinese if I'm getting it right).

> The cursor which overlaps the position doesn't seem right. It's not a big
> problem
> as long as it does not strike through the glyph in the middle. But the
> inconsistence among
> platforms might be a problem.
> I would have tested fullwidth punctuations.
> It went wrong in vertical writing before.

 Is there a testcase for that?

On Monday 03 of May 2021, Mark Hung wrote:
> ./hb-view -O png -o ~/output.png \
> --shapers=ot,fallback \
> --direction ttb \
> --font-funcs=ot \
> ~/下載/kaiu.ttf "「風調,雨順」"

 Thank you, this should be useful.

> [2]https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/115014
> [3]https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/115018
> [4]https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/115016
> [5]https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/115017

 I'm currently testing Skia with these and it seems these help a lot with the
problems. tdf#137907 seems fixed, tdf#105650 seems to get fixed with your
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/115015, I have a Skia-specific fix
for tdf#136081 and even qadevOOo/testdocs/vertical-testcase.odt works for me
now locally. I'll try to create unittests for these problems, and then I'll
verify this all works.

> <MarkHung> llunak Is Skia used for all the platofrm as default text renderer
right now?

 No. Skia is the default on Windows. It can also be used on Linux with
the 'gen' VCL backend.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com