Test failed `TestBreakIterator::testLao` with icu 70

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 17:53:11 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Saturday, 2021-11-13 19:56:31 +0000, oxalica wrote:

> I'm on NixOS and we recently updated a libreoffice dependency `icu` to 70.
> When building libreoffice 7.2.2.2 with `--with-system-libs`, it builds
> successfully but fails exact one unit test.

I just encountered the same while updating the bundled ICU to 70.1

(btw, you'd encounter more build breakage in a debug build with
--enable-werror because of missing handling of new script and block
values)

> I can confirm that downgrading `icu` back to 69.0 fixes the test
> failure. But I'm not sure what is this test doing and I cannot read Lao.

Me neither..

> Does the test need updating, or there it's an issue of the new `icu` 70.0?

Not sure yet. I temporarily adapted that one check failing (the other
passes) now in the change https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/125322
with
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/125322/1/i18npool/qa/cppunit/test_breakiterator.cxx

> I also notice that the `testLao` is currently guarded and only be
> enabled if icu >51. Does it depends on some icu behaviors and we should
> also exclude it for icu >=70?

The handling of Lao script word break likely wasn't implemented in
earlier ICUs, or the test was implemented when ICU 51 was current,
I didn't chase it down. I excluded the one check *only* for 70
(not >=70) so if it doesn't get fixed (either on our or ICU's side)
we'll get slapped again with the next major update.

  Eike

--
GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A