Windows build gets stuck, if parallelism greater than 1

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Sat Nov 20 11:04:59 UTC 2021

On Saturday 20 of November 2021, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
> My mentee is having an issue, where plain make gets stuck in
>
> [build ECH] CustomTarget/instsetoo_native/setup/version.ini
>
> or
>
> [build MOD] instsetoo_native
>
> if parallelism is 2 or more. Default would be "-j 8" on his machine. He
> has 16GB RAM available. Windows is on bare metal. Any tips for
> troubleshooting?

 The last line printed by parallel make is usually irrelevant, it can be stuck
by another job that started before. So it's necessary to check processes
launched by make (on Linux I'd do 'pstree -pal', I don't know if that works
in cygwin).

 But first I'd check if this isn't the recent cygwin problem that was causing
make getting stuck.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com