clang vs gcc build performance (executable not build time)

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Tue Nov 23 16:47:27 UTC 2021

On Tuesday 23 of November 2021, Mike Kaganski wrote:
> The only thing I would love to note is that besides performance, there's
> also usability of development tools that matters. If changing to Clang
> as compiler on Windows would mean we can't use Visual Studio's debugger
> (or its use would be less efficient), it would be a really sad thing.
> OTOH, I hope that today, Visual Studio works much better with
> clang-built binaries (it even suggests clang as part of its components
> when installing, which we use for Skia, so we already have it on Windows
> development systems).

 Since we already do use Clang for Skia, you can try. If I set a breakpoint
e.g. on SkSurface::flushAndSubmit(), I can step there just fine (probably
helped by building with --enable-skia=debug, which builds without
optimizations, but I'd expect to work even with normal LO Skia build).

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com