Problems with item "RotationCenter" in item "Extrusion" in the property "CustomShapeGeometry"

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.com
Thu Nov 25 08:33:56 UTC 2021

Hi Regina,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 04:50:38PM +0100, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
> The situation is different. All specifications and our own description in
> API use "fraction of shape size", but our internal property "RotationCenter"
> uses Hmm.
>
> I have two ways to fix it:
> Change our internal property to use "fraction of shape size".
> Keep Hmm for our internal property and change description in API and change
> all import/export filters.
>
> So which way to go, A or B?

Oh, I see. It's a difficult trade-off. :-) We try hard not to break old
documents, but there were precedents like your commit
bc886f523872d4f9845c188c7d525d72a1a60946 where a relatively obscure
feature was just fixed instead of caring about old documents. Perhaps
this is a similar category?

(This would avoid the cost of intruducing a compat flag for this.)

> In case you wonder about OOXML: OOXML has no corresponding property. But we
> likely need to use "RotationCenter" when implementing import filter for
> groups with <scene3d> child element, because our own group has no properties
> and therefor the <scene3d> properties need to be converted to custom shape
> extrusion properties on the child elements of the group.

Sure, that's a different topic. My understanding is that our 3D objects
don't retain any editable text, so if we ever support OOXML's <scene3d>
properly, then quite possibly we would need to handle that schene on
normal (we call them 2D) custom shapes.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Budget2022#3D_rotation_of_Impress_shapes
has more details on this.

Regards,