clang vs gcc build performance (executable not build time)

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Fri Nov 26 10:50:48 UTC 2021

<sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
> > There's the horribly outdated
> > <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/clang-cl> that Ilmari
> > already mentioned,  But setting up LLVM/Clang (which should only be
> > necessary if you want to --enable-compiler-plugins, which is my
> > motivation for doing those clang-cl builds; otherwise, the Clang bundled
> > with VS probably works fine) and doing a LO build with it has become much
> > simpler since when I wrote that.  (If there is demand, I could try and
> > update the wiki page, just ping me.)
>
> If you have a bit of time to update that, I would appreciate it.

 Last time I tried clang-cl I had to do quite some extra setup IIRC, things
like having to add -m32/-m64. Since MSVC normally works out of the box, I
think it'd be better to either have configure check these and add them if
necessary, or alternatively have some kind of --enable-clang that'd find and
select clang-cl instead of cl.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com