tdf#140286 - CALC formula =INFO("OSVERSION") gives wrong output

Chris Sherlock chris.sherlock79 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:16:07 UTC 2022

Hi all,

The output of =INFO(“OSVERSION”) currently gives the wrong version for MacOS (it says it is Windows). I have a proposed patch for this in https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/127921 <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/127921>

There are two issues:

1. What should the Linux version of this function provide? Given there is no Linux version of Excel, we are free to implement whatever we like. However, for MacOS Excel currently gives a string in the form "Macintosh (Intel) Version 11.6.2 (Build 20G314)”, so it seems that we might want to produce the output of lsb_release. What should it show? A recent patch returns the kernel version, but it seems doubtful that for Excel this is what people expect.

2. The function AquaSalInstance::getOSVersion() currently gives the MacOS release version. This is different from the kernel version on MacOS. Is this correct behaviour? My patch changes it to what Excel shows, which seems more likely to be what is expected.

What should be returned here? If it should be the kernel version, then do we need to update this?

If we need to redefine what is shown, do we need to introduce new functions into AquaSalInstance to get kernel versions?

Chris