Problems with lighting of extruded custom-shapes

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.com
Mon Jan 17 07:28:44 UTC 2022

Hi Regina,

On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 07:22:19PM +0100, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
> > I assume doing that would be the scope of
> > <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Budget2022#3D_rotation_of_Impress_shapes>.
> >

> Yes, but the Budget2022 proposal has import of text in addition, which can
> be included in the object rotation in MSO.
>
> However, the suggestion text is not clear. It can be interpreted as using
> "SdrObjCustomShape" or as using "E3dScene".

I think the proposal is to add MSO-compatible 3D effects, so extend
SdrObjCustomShape with properties that allow importing and rendering
these 3D properties.

My understanding is that E3dScene is nice, but it doesn't preserve
editable text, and in general not a 1:1 match to MSO's 3D approach,
which is just a set of additional properties on (2D) shapes.

> The "E3dScene" has no corresponding shape type in OOXML and not in binary MS
> format.

Good, that matches the above. :-)

> MS goes a different way and has introduced "3D Model". That is a GLB media
> file, which is inserted as w:graphic and uses the object rotation and camera
> from OOXML.

I assume those 3d models are less interesting to you. It's somewhat
ironic that we had GLTF models and it was removed as nobody bothered to
keep the feature... :-)

> I'll write a bug report for RTF import.

Thanks, got it. I'm interested to take a look once you're happy with the
binary filters (so I can use that behavior as reference).

Regards,

Miklos