Re: tdf#140286 - CALC formula =INFO("OSVERSION") gives wrong output

Andrew Pitonyak andrew at pitonyak.org
Tue Jan 18 00:20:37 UTC 2022

On Monday, January 17, 2022 17:17 EST, Wol <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:
 On 14/01/2022 22:24, Wols Lists wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 21:26, Chris Sherlock wrote:
>> I will work on a patch for Linux that parses /etc/os-release with a
>> fallback to just the kernel version if that is not available
>> (virtually all desktop systems use systemd now).
>
> Are you sure?
>
> Okay, it's mostly the mad hold-outs, but Devuan, funtoo, gentoo, that's
> three distros off the top of my head that don't default to systemd. And
> they're the ones (gentoo especially) that devs might well be running.
>
> I think a sane set of options from uname is much better. That's pretty
> much guaranteed to be universal, I believe, and you could even make the
> options a user-specified matter should they be mad enough to want to.

Just looked at /etc/os-release (as you may have guessed my gentoo system
does run systemd), and the ONLY useful information you'll get from it is
"Gentoo Linux".
So for those people who want more than just the distro name, os-release
is not enough.

anthony at thewolery ~/gitstuff/ScarletDME $ cat /etc/os-release
NAME=Gentoo
ID=gentoo
PRETTY_NAME="Gentoo/Linux"
ANSI_COLOR="1;32"
HOME_URL="https://www.gentoo.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.gentoo.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.gentoo.org/"
anthony at thewolery ~/gitstuff/ScarletDME $

Cheers,
WolI like the "PRETTY_NAME" and VERSION_ID as provided by /etc/os-release, and this is usually enough for most people. I commonly ask people which version of their OS they are running, but I rarely ask for more details than that; although I will admit that a certain Windows 10 release was not supporting something I was doing.

What do you show from /proc/version? Lots of useful information ther, but, I need to work harder to recognize that my primary computer is running FEDORA.

[andy at DESKTOP-6U3CUIF ~]$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 5.15.13-200.fc35.x86_64 (mockbuild at bkernel01.iad2.fedoraproject.org) (gcc (GCC) 11.2.1 20211203 (Red Hat 11.2.1-7), GNU ld version 2.37-10.fc35) #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 16:39:13 UTC 2022