About removing Beanshell/Javascript (Rhino) ?

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 07:14:14 UTC 2022

On 1/22/22 20:40, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-01-22 at 12:27 +0100, Julien Nabet wrote:
>> shouldn't we ... remove the 2 others or at least Beanshell ?
>
> FWIW I agree, I don't think the beanshell or rhino integration has ever
> really been particularly useful. For RedHat's RHEL we've built without
> them (--disable-scripting-beanshell --disable-scripting-javascript)
> since 2019 and the same will be true for Fedora from F36 onward.
>
> The rhino jar is from 2007/2008 when it was bumped to the last rhino
> 1.5 release version (by me) in the only change to it since the initial
> version of 2003 and it's a similar story for bsh. IMO it's only
> demoware for the at-that-time-new scripting framework.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/framework/scripting/scriptingf1

As always, hard to tell if anybody is actually using this.  One way to
find out would be to mark them as deprecated in the upcoming 7.3 release
notes and remove each of them (individually, for easier resurrection,
just in case) on master.  Maybe we should briefly bring that up in the
next ESC meeting.