GSoC ideas wiki page gardening

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Thu Jan 27 08:24:08 UTC 2022

On 27.1.2022 7.18, Tomaž Vajngerl wrote:
> Hi Ilmari,
>
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 2:40 AM Ilmari Lauhakangas
> <ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
> <mailto:ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org>> wrote:
>
>     We need some medium ones as well, so please consider either adding new
>     ideas or splitting old ones (can be 175 + 350 split, if you rethink the
>     scope).
>

> Any suggestions on how to present a splitted idea in the idea page?
> Would it be good to just define "medium size" to include these goals,
> and "large size" additionally includes those goals? And say under Size
> "medium or large"?

That's a good question. I had thought to just have them as separate
ideas that can be worked on in parallel, but I guess you could define
them as you say.

The project list guide does say this about defining different scopes for
a project:

"Projects should take ~175 hours or ~350 hours for GSoC contributors to
complete. We understand some GSoC contributors will take less time (if
they have more knowledge of the topic or codebase) while others could
spend more time. It is also possible that a given project idea could be
175 hours or 350 hours depending on the scope of the idea. If the GSoC
contributor proposes to do a smaller scope of the idea then it might be
a 175 hr project versus if they propose doing more work with their
proposal it could be a 350 hour project."

https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list

Ilmari