Simplifying LibreOffice build instructions

Hossein Nourikhah hossein at libreoffice.org
Thu Jun 2 09:50:00 UTC 2022

Hello,

If you look at the current LibreOffice build instructions for
LibreOffice on different platforms inside TDF Wiki, most of them are
comprehensive:

Development/How to build
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/How_to_build

On the other hand, these articles are somehow bloated, containing
various different stuff related to different configurations and
situations. They sometimes provide alternative ways to do a single task.

We have discussed this before, and some of the developers agreed that we
need to overhaul these build instructions! This task was pending, but
now I have completed it. You can see the result here:

Build LibreOffice from source code
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Hossein/Build

My ultimate goal is to put these new pages in the place of the current
build instructions, and move the extra information that are available
there to additional notes  pages.

I hereby ask everyone to take a look at the instructions, which are the
minimized form of the current build instructions, and give me feedback.

As an example, the build instructions for Android is much easier now,
and it is tested on different Linux distributions to make sure that it
works.

Please note that I have tested these platforms:

Windows (x64) - Linux (x64, arm32) - Android (all 4 architectures)

But I need help on these platforms:

BSD - macOS

There is a section to show the platforms that are manually tested by a
person. We can also add more information about the verified
configuration in the end of each article.

I think with the new build instructions in place, newcomers will find
most up-to-date and relevant information easier. The extra information
will be preserved in the notes pages.

Regards,
Hossein

--
Hossein Nourikhah, Ph.D.
Developer Community Architect
Email: hossein at libreoffice.org
Wiki:  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Hossein
IRC:   hossein at libreoffice-dev room in LiberaChat Network
        irc://irc.libera.chat/#libreoffice-dev