Using Java on macOS ARM64

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 10:16:19 UTC 2022

On 18/12/2020 11:59, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> * A macOS ARM64 JDK is work in progress
> (<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/391> "JEP 391: macOS/AArch64 Port"), and
> e.g. a MacPorts build of openjdk15 would still only cross-build an
> x86-64 one.  But Azul appears to be progressing that JEP
> (<https://adtmag.com/articles/2020/11/12/azul-supports-apple-silicon.aspx>),
> and already offers e.g. JDK13
> (<https://cdn.azul.com/zulu/bin/zulu13.35.1017-ca-jdk13.0.5.1-macos_aarch64.tar.gz>)
> and a JDK16EA
> (<https://cdn.azul.com/zulu/bin/zulu16.0.73-ea-jdk16.0.0-ea.28-macos_aarch64.zip>;
> curiously, there's no JDK15, though):

For the record:  <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/391> "JEP 391:
macOS/AArch64 Port" has meanwhile been implemented in OpenJDK 17, which
lead to our
<https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/e529461bcb126e0975ffa3f86e1fd5a630551de2%5E!/>
"Enable JVM also on macOS ARM64" and follow-up
<https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/81debfba86b1d67d1c2e0ecd9c10ca35c3e7de5e%5E!/>
"Restrict macOS ARM64 to Java >= 17".  (Though our cofigure.ac would
still accept any JDK >= 9 for the build as on other platforms, even if
that could cause failures later.  That check could be adapted if anybody
sees a need.)