[libreoffice-accessibility] Re: ESC meeting minutes: 2022-05-26 [IAccessible2 support in JAWS]

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Thu Jun 9 09:50:52 UTC 2022

On 09.06.22 11:21, Michael Weghorn wrote:
> I suppose that supporting new UIA concepts/features in addition would
> probably require more fundamental changes than "just" adding a new
> wrapper/bridge for UIA around existing LO a11y interfaces (either a
> custom one, or using Gtk/Qt).
> But I'm not an expert and have only little experience with a11y so far
> and not looked into UIA any closer, so all of the above would need
> deeper knowledge/further investigation for a more reliable statement.
>
> Unless there are resources to work on UIA specifically, I tend to think
> it would make sense to focus on improving the existing
> IAccessible2-based implementation ("winaccessibility") (and fixing
> issues that are not platform-specific) for now if that's (still)
> sufficiently supported by AT in practice, and reconsider what to do
> about UIA at some later point in time (at which there might also be news
> on the state of gtk4 and qt5/qt6 a11y).

i tend to agree, one aspect of this is that AFAIK the AT-SPI and
IAccessible2 APIs that concern document content were designed
specifically with OOo's document models in mind - there might be a
bigger impedance mismatch to other A11y APIs, needing more code in the
"translation layer".

but i don't know any details about UIA.