Hi (Formats supported by LibreOffice).

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:36:23 UTC 2022

On 23.03.2022 10:31, A wrote:
> Why is LO focussing on both MS formats and ODF?
>
> By focusing on both formats, it is not producing very good software in
> either of these.
>
> It should focus on only one format so that it can do a much better job.
>
> I am saying all this because LO is run by volunteers and it is not
> getting much resources and money from outside.
>
> So, whatever limited resources it has, it should use that optimally to
> produce one "very good" product.

This implies that the volunteers (and contributors in general) all
should be *guided* in what they focus on. So the project should be
totally controlled from some central place, and everyone must either
work on what is "permitted", or not work at all.

This is not how the project works. If (say) *I* need MS compatibility
improved (just imagining; I actually care about both), I will work on
that, and my work will be included in the software for the benefit of
others, regardless if others think that ODF is their priority. My work
doesn't prevent others to improve ODF support. But if others tell me "do
not work on OOXML compatibility, but focus on ODF", my manpower will not
be re-directed - I will just leave.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski