'make check' fails when building with gcov code coverage

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten at gmail.com
Tue May 31 11:43:42 UTC 2022

Hi,

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 10:03 AM Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 25/05/2022 14:38, Maarten Hoes wrote:
> > gb_GCOV=YES verbose=t make UITest_solver
> > gb_GCOV=YES verbose=t make CppunitTest_sccomp_solver
> > gb_GCOV=YES verbose=t make CppunitTest_sccomp_swarmsolvertest
>
> I /think/ to remember that at least some of those solver tests are time
> based, so that they may occasionally fail for slow builds.  (I've seen
> such *Test_*solver* fail on and off for
> <https://ci.libreoffice.org/job/lo_ubsan/> and/or my local ASan+UBSan
> builds, tried to look into it a long time ago, got confirmation from I
> can't remember who that those tests can indeed timeout unsuccessfully
> without necessarily indicating a failure, and thus started to ignore
> them ever since.)

That would be a shame. I got the impression that, for me specifically,
these 3 tests failed reliably/reproducible when built with gcov, and
succeeded without gcov, but I'll do some more testing to verify that.

Anyway, if more tests fail sometimes without there being a 'real' failure,
then I am not sure how to deal with that in relation to generating an lcov
report for a full build. My initial idea was to not generate a report if
'make check' failed, but hearing this now makes me wonder if that would be
a good approach. Perhaps it would be preferred just to run 'make -k check'
and generate a report always, regardless of test failures ? Of course you
could also choose to skip such tests, but that would lead to not
representative results; and someone would have to manually keep the skip
list up to date, which people will forget to do.

- Maarten