Consider changing version numbering scheme

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 07:03:39 UTC 2023

Hi!

I just came across another post mentioning the usual user's confusion
around LibreOffice versioning scheme [1], and I thought I share my thoughts.

When we have Major+Minor version numbers, minor changing every
half-a-year, and major changing at some random points, then every such
major number change does *not* look like "Look! We did something
extremely cool!": rather, it looks like "Stop and think! We did
something so large, that it scares ourselves; it could change the game,
so are you sure you want the game changed this way?". The change will
*never* attract more attention than it would scare people away. People
that readily upgrade across major version changes, would also upgrade
across minors as well; but the opposite is not necessarily true.

It could in theory be reasonable to send such a message, when we really
did such a change. But so far, we never did anything that was worth such
a precaution.

A suggestion: either keep 7.X (7.43, 7.124, ...) until we really want to
scare people away, or switch to a more sensible versioning scheme.

[1] https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/86809/2

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski