ESC budget item review meeting agenda: 2023-06-22 16:00 CEST

Julien Nabet serval2412 at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 21 16:35:13 UTC 2023

Hello,

Since we're talking about dropping "Rolling Release: Finish MAR-based
autoupdater for Windows (2021)" tender,

here are some comments I got concerning the related tdf#74934 "'Install'
button in update dialog is never activated":

"

1) Do we still want this feature or should we just use update to know if
there's an update (and the user does the job)?

2) Let's say I got 7.4.5 installed, do we want LO detects last version
of branch 7.4 or last version of branch 7.5 ?

3) What's the status of the current implementation in LO?
Reading
https://mmohrhard.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/announcing-automatically-updating-daily-windows-libreoffice-builds/
it seems there are still work to do but not sure Markus would work on
it? Above all it talks about daily builds, it's very specific. I don't
expect someone who has important documents should give a try to a dev
version only if very clearly informed.

4) if we enable this feature, who will treat the bugtrackers related to
this? I may be wrong but only Markus was working on it, would he still
want to help here? Did he have some backup who would help if it's not
the case?
IMHO, if nobody is volunteer to work on this, the feature should be
removed, no need to pile up bugs => less disappointment for users, less
work for QA.

"

Julien