[libreoffice-design] Moving to LibreOffice 8?

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz1 at gmx.com
Tue Mar 28 07:17:46 UTC 2023

I respectfully disagree with Italo.

First, about the "frame of reference". In my opinion, decisions such as
major version number bumping are not, first and foremost, marketing
decisions. That is a _consideration_, since the version number is
declarative than technical. But - such an action should be "truthful"
before being "marketable".

It is more important, in my opinion, that users and potential users
receive trustworthy signaling from the project - not just w.r.t. version
numbers, but generally - than for the media to get a gimmick for coverage.

A second point is that bumping a version number without a major
innovation moves you a few more steps into the category of, say, Firefox
and such, where versions just increase automatically with no meaning
whatsoever. Italo, you said we are perceived as a "real innovator";
well, when a real innovator starts having hollow version number bumping,
that perception fades.

Finally, everyone who likes the marketing potential of version 8 -
great, but - keep that benefit for when we have a significant step
forward to celebrate. Don't squander it.

Eyal

PS:  availability on a new platform is not a reason to bump a version
number. It's the "same" software, but built for another target, so same
version as before. IMHO anyway.