[libreoffice-marketing] Moving to LibreOffice 8?

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Fri Mar 31 06:54:47 UTC 2023

Hi y'all,

Uwe Altmann wrote:
> Am 29.03.23 um 12:28 schrieb Clocked Modular:
> > Is it an option to stick to 7 as long as there are no major changes?
>
> With a six monthly release plan it is not that easy to have major changes ;-)

Yes, I believe that's the important point. No single release of
LibreOffice will ever have the massive pack of new features, that
e.g. MSO major release have.

In the past, we usually did the following:
* look at the full version cycle (7.0 -> 7.5) as the field of change
* favouring the spring release over the summer one (since gsoc usually
  provided a number of visible features)
* or piggy-back on hard-to-plan events, like ODF releases

One more reason to seriously consider year-based names, since it
better matches our way of development.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten