Bringing theme colors to ODF

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Mar 31 23:01:35 UTC 2023

Hi Tomaž, hi Armin,

because you Armin are working on multi-color gradients and you Tomaž are
working on theme colors, I try to combine both for ODF, see attachment.

One main idea is, to introduce an "enhanced-color", which could be
either a RGBHex color or a Scheme color.

I had a color type RGBZeroToOne but have removed it, because it has no
benefit for other ODF consumers compared to RGBHex (a ODF TC member has
concerns) and because it cannot be used for scrgbClr from OOXML since
latter has a different gamma.

The other idea is, to allow a sequence of color-transformations where
such "enhanced-color" exists in the same element. That is currently in
the new elements <gradient-stop>, <style:fill-complex-color>,

I have used "<style:fill-complex-color>" instead of
"loext:fill-color-theme-reference" because with the concept of an
"enhanced-color" the color could be defined as #rrggbb as well and still
be combined with color transformations.

Tomaž Vajngerl schrieb am 25.03.2023 um 11:10:
> Hi Regina,
>
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 6:57 AM Regina Henschel <rb.henschel at t-online.de
> <mailto:rb.henschel at t-online.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Tomaž, hi all,
>
>     I have started with creating a proposal to extend ODF with theme
>     colors.
>     The first draft is attached.
>
>     Tomaž, could you please look whether it fits to what you have intended.
>

> Yes, looks fine on a quick glance but maybe renaming some things would
> make sense. Mainly the "color-table" would probably be better as
> "color-scheme" or something like that, as this is more in-line with
> OOXML terminology and we don't need to deviate from that just for the
> sake of it.

I have now used <draw:scheme-color-set> for all 12 colors and
<draw:scheme-color> for a single one.

> OTOH it probably makes sense to rename dk1, lt1, dk2, lt2, hlink,
> folHlink to the full names dark1, light1, ... , hyperlink,
> followed-hyperlink - which is inline with ODF style to not to abbreviate
> things. I planned to do that change but other things have priority
> currently.

I have used the full names now.

> Also this covers only theme colors. Fonts and format still need to be
> defined and this is where it will get more complicated :)

The <draw:theme> element has currently only the child element
<draw:scheme-color-set> but the structure would allow to extend it later
with a "scheme-font" and a "scheme-format" element.

You find on the first page of the attachment examples how I think a
final (not loext) markup could look.

I have not yet feedback from the ODF TC about my idea to make the
color-transformations "implementation-defined". That would mean, that
for each color-transformation we need to describe the algorithm on the
Wiki page. But it has the advantage, that implementing more
color-transformations would need no change in ODF.

In case the ODF TC do not agree with "implementation-defined", which
color-transformations do we need currently for ODF? More than lumMod,
lumOff and alpha?

Kind regards,
Regina