Firebird not experimental

Juan C. Sanz jcsanz at libreoffice.org
Wed Aug 28 20:16:01 UTC 2024

El 27/08/2024 a las 16:48, Robert Großkopf escribió:
> Hi *,
>>
>> Moreover
>>
>> 1) we still use FB 3.0.7 whereas 2 major releases have been published
>> (4 and 5) and version 6 is in dev.
>>
>> At minimum, we should upgrade to version 5 to avoid trying to fix
>> bugs on a old FB version.
>
> What would happen with all the old Firebid databases then? Might be a
> good idea first to put to newest version and then to set non
> experimental, but there are many people already using internal
> Firebird and it should work without any problems when changing version
> of LO (and changing Firebird-version this way).
No problem with embedded databases, since they are stores as gbak backup
format

>> 2) what about the existing odb with HSQL Embedded, should we propose
>> migration towards FB each time knowing there are still quite some
>> bugs about it?
>
> I would prefer to add a special switch like "don't ask again". So old
> HSQLDB still would exist
Yes, this could be a good idea, but any case we need an option to
relaunch the migration wizard

>> 3) there are not a lot of bugs about FB LO implementation per se
>> because it's experimental but we may expect a fload of them if FB is
>> not experimental again => who will take in charge the fload ?
>
> Every new database I create for other people or companies I create as
> Firebird database. A lot of bugs have been fixed. If you know where to
> look for you will get a good working database…
I'm using always Firebird too, and as you say I haven't had unresoluble
problems. But my use is only at home, and of course if you install for
other people the database is more tested...

> Regards
>
> Robert

Regards

*Juan C. Sanz*